Choosing the Perfect Domain & Picking the right host..
Today’s lesson is all about choosing your domain name and selecting the perfect web host.
Choosing a domain name:
Choosing a domain name really isn’t the be all and end all of your blogging career.
Your content is way more important (like 1000 times more), so this step of the process should be short one.
Once you’ve read through the email, set a timer for 45mins-1hour and decide there and then what your blog name should be.
If you missed the email yesterday on choosing the perfect blogging niche, you can check out the full guide here:
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Blog Niche
You may already have a name you like but there are definitely some things you should consider before that name is set in stone:
1) Your domain name should reflect the niche you’re in
Your readers should have some sort of idea what your blog is about.
2) The name you want probably isn’t available
Don’t stress if the name you want isn’t available. People buy domains all the time. It’s not that big of a deal.
3) Using a “modifier” name will help you out big time
Assuming the domain you want isn’t available, there are certain words you can add on the end of your chosen domain to modify it slightly. These words include:
You get the idea, and can find a huge list of these words by googling domain modifiers.
4) Always go for the .com
Using a .com domain is always option no.1 because it makes you look a lot more professional. A .co would be option no.2 as it isn’t too far off the .com and a lot of professional sites have been using them for
Your Action Plan:
1) Choose a few keywords that related to your niche (you should have a few ideas from yesterday’s lesson). If your word is related to sustainable, use that as your keyword.
2) Google some other words to describe these keywords:
- All natural
- Clean World
- Eco Friendly
3) Combine these words with your name:
- – KimAllNatural
- – KimsCleanWorld
- – Kims Organic
- – EcoFriendlyKim
- – EcologicalKim
4) Use a Modifier word, if none of the names above are available:
- – Kimsallnaturalbuzz
- – CleanWorldBuzz
- – KimsOrganicBuzz
- – EcoFriendlyBuzz
5) Simply enter the names you like into a name checker. My favorite is Namecheckr.com, because they tell you if the domain (.com) is available as well as the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest handles.
Even if you don’t want to start promoting on these platforms yet, you want to make sure you’ll have the possibility to do so in the future.
It’s really that simple.
Don’t get stuck. Use the steps above and you should have a domain name in no time.
Once you have the name we are ready to move on to the next step!
Choosing a web host for your blog
Every domain name needs to have a web host to keep it running. The web host is basically a massive server that is accessed from the internet.
What you are doing by purchasing a hosting plan, is buying the ability to use the server so that people can access your website.
I know you have seen several brands claiming that you can “start your blog for free”.
Here’s some advice:
Do not start a blog using a free platform!
Please do not even go there.
Think about this; if the blog were free how would these companies make money.
There are several reasons why you shouldn’t start your blog for free and here are just a few:
1) Limited Use: There are restrictions on what you’re able to do on a free blogging platform. Many of these platforms will limit the amount of pages you can post and the amount of visitors to your site.
2) Ugly Domain: On a free blogging platform, you are restricted to using a domain name that has wix.com or blogspot.com. So instead of a professional name like Ecofriendlybuzz.com, it’ll be ecofriendlybuzz.blogspot.com.
3) Making Money is harder: The likelihood of being able to monetize your site down the line is seriously unlikely. You are unable to run ads on your ‘free’ site as a part of their conditions. Plus because of the ugly domain name, people are less likely to buy products from you. People just won’t take you seriously.
4) Limited Speed: Everyone on a free blogging platform is sharing the same server. That means the speed and storage doesn’t even come near to what you would get on a self hosted website.
5) Customer Support: There is none.
6) No Backups: You are not able to create backups of your site. If the site crashes, you’ll lose everything. Period.
7) Moving your host is a PAIN: Trying to move your host and website later on down the line is a pain in the butt.
Here are all the benefits of a going with a ‘great’ Web Hosting:
1) They’re cheaper than you think
2) Great customer service
3) Super-fast speeds
4) Use your own domain name
5) More Monthly Visits
6) Run your own ads to make money
7) Design is in your hands
8) You look trustworthy and professional
When you’re just getting started, you want a host that’s gonna get you set up super quick, that’s affordable and will have your site running super quick.
I have 2 recommendations for the newbie blogger and you’ll see the reasons why below.
Recommendation 1: Bluehost
Bluehost is a staple web hosting platform used by many bloggers around the globe. I am recommending them because I started my blogging career with them and they were so easy to use and set up.
They have hosting plans as low as $3.95/monthand offer a FREE domain when you set up. Now bearing in mind a domain alone will cost you up to $15/year, this is a great deal!
Recommendation 2: Namehero
Namehero is a phenomenal (I don’t use that word lightly) web host with an abundance of hosting benefits.
Not only do their hosting plans start at just $4.30/month, with a FREE domain, but they utilize Litespeed technology which is 20x faster than most sites.
Trust me on this one, your site speed will make or break how successful your blog is. When people wait too long for a site to load, they usually just press exit.
When looking for a web host, cheaper is 90% of the time NOT better.
Each second your site is down, you are potentially losing revenue. That is why you shouldn’t skimp on webhosting bugdet.
My site has jump leaps and bounds since switching to Namehero.
Bluehost and Namehero are my favourite web hosts. They offer great value for money.
Plus, you won’t have to purchase a domain elsewhere and then connect it to your host.
If you want to take blogging seriously, get started with a Bluehost or Namehero from the start.
💥 FREEBIE ALERT 💥
I give away a freebie in every lesson, but this one has to be the best yet.
I’m giving away a FREE Premium Child Theme + DIVI Theme to anyone who purchases a hosting plan using my link.
Plus, I’ll get your WordPress site set up for you FREE of charge!
Yes, you read that right – not only will you get a premium WordPress child theme + DIVI worth $249 but you’ll get your blog set up for free.
This blogging theme is worth over $249 alone. The theme is called Sienna Rose and has everything you could ever need to start making money right away!
This includes a stella looking homepage that rivals some of the top bloggers!
Sienna Rose uses DIVI theme, which is a next level fully customizable drag and drop web builder.
Just look how pretty..
If you’ve ever heard of DIVI before, then you would know just how fricking easy it is to use.
I loved using it to create my site which is why I am so excited to offer you guys this original premium theme I created FOR FREE!
Not only that, but I’ll set the theme up for you on your very own WordPress site, yep… FOR FREE!
Check Sienna Rose out here!
When you purchase hosting from Bluehostor Namehero using my links, you’ll get:
- Sienna Rose theme FREE
- DIVI theme FREE
- WordPress set up (including essential Plugins) for FREE
If you wanted to go with one of these hosts, simply hit reply and send me your receipt.
I’ll get your site set up within 24hours!
Once you’re set up, you just need to customize the site to how you like it and then start posting.
Trust me, it makes the process a lot easier, when you can just get started!
That’s it! You now have everything you need to choose a blog name and pick a great web host.
In tomorrow’s lesson we’ll be learning how to install WordPress and your chosen theme.